Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My So Awesome Pasta e Fagioli



Since this blog is supposed to be all about me me me, I thought I would share how incredibly talented I am. I mean I can cook, bake, braise, glaze, roast, toast...I think you get the idea.

Anyway, I made this amazing Pasta e Fagioli (Italian Pasta & Bean Soup) for lunch today (I'm sick and I am so tired of chicken noodle soup that I could just scream). I got the recipe off of the internet awhile back and tweaked it a bit. So I just thought I'd share it.

Bon Appetit!

Pasta e Fagioli

1 pound ground beef (85% lean)
1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
3 large carrots, julienned (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
1 15-ounce can cannelloni beans (with liquid)
1 15-ounce can navy beans (with liquid)
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 pound (1/2 pkg.) ditali pasta

1. Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat.
2. Add onion, carrots and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
4. About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of boiling water over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or just until pasta is al dente, or slightly tough. Drain.
5. Add the pasta to the large pot of soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve.

If you'd like, top with freshly shaved parmesan cheese or throw in some croutons for variety.

No comments: