Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Tastebud Boggling Strawberries n' Shortcake



Not to outdo myself, but being sick on Christmas means that I missed Christmas dessert. )0: I had gone to the trouble of spending $5.00 on out of season strawberries so that I could make strawberry shortcake.

Anyway, I decided to make it tonight. I developed a tasty little recipe for macerated berries (taste tested by an expert who is not me) that makes an incredible sauce that I pour over buttermilk biscuits and Haagen Daz Vanilla ice cream and top with extra creamy whipped cream. Not exactly what one would call low-fat, but definitely delectable.

Macerated Strawberries...

1 cup halved strawberries
2-3 tbsp salted butter
1 tsp white granulated sugar
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp lemon juice

Melt 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan on low
Throw in the halved strawberries
Add sugars, cinnamon and lemon juice
Stir and let strawberries break down and create sauce (about 3 minutes)
Turn off the saucepan and throw in the last tbsp of butter
Let sauce sit for 2 - 3 minutes

...'n Shortcake

Serve over buttermilk biscuits and ice cream and top with whipped cream

No comments: